Science of Learning
In a world fractured and distanced by a global pandemic and continual disruption, reigniting students to reflect on how they learn and to equip them with the necessary skills to approach their learning has perhaps never been more important.
At Dubai College we believe it is essential that our students leave us equipped with the drive and ability to be effective life-long learners and the skills and strategies needed to excel in an ever-evolving workplace. Embedding aspects of the Science of Learning and Metacognition into all aspects of life at Dubai College is therefore at the heart of everything we do.
Our whole-school approach to implementing the Science of Learning has been focused on the work of the Learning Scientists, a group of cognitive psychologists who have conducted extensive research into how core principles of the Science of Learning and Metacognition can lead to enhanced learning and teaching in the classroom and improved outcomes for our students as a result.
Our evidence-based approach to implementation has therefore focused on equipping students with the knowledge and expertise needed to embed these six core learning strategies into their study and revision time:
These strategies are not only delivered by our teaching staff in the classroom but are also interweaved into our DC Learning Skills Programme delivered to all year groups as part of our Rolling Positive Education Programme and Sixth Form Top-Up Programme and our Key Stage 3 Study Skills Programme delivered during form time by our Sixth Form Liaison Team.
Through these strategies and a continued focus on effective assessment and feedback, we aim to encourage our students to:
- understand and adopt the habits and behaviours of high-performing learners
- be active participants in the learning process who are aware of their strengths and weaknesses
- take targeted action to improve
- space out their learning so they can recall it in the long-term
- employ a range of active and effective revision techniques which assess their recall of learning
- actively quiz themselves to identify gaps in their learning and test their ability to apply learning in context
- elaborate on their learning and the learning process to become effective metacognitive learners
DC Student Guide Platform
The DC Student Guide Platform is an innovative online initiative which supports students in developing a metacognitive approach to learning. The platform is made by students for students and promotes the skills and strategies needed to be lifelong high-performing learners through a variety of instructional videos all focused on the Science of Learning and metacognition.